Monday, November 23, 2015

三個星期!(Week three) Elder Smith

Well this week was quite great I could say...so one of the main
highlights was on Friday, Elder Richter and I were planning to meet
this girl from China and we were quite excited because when we first
met her, all we spoke was Chinese, it wasn't a long lesson, but we
were pretty excited to to teach her. So we are waiting outside the
library(also it got super cold super fast despite how warm it was in
the afternoon) so I didn't have a jacket and was quite cold, but she
eventually comes, and we(in Chinese) ask a few simple questions, and
then we get into the lesson(still speaking Chinese) and teach all
about the Restoration and ask her some questions and we keep speaking
Chinese, and yeah....it was super crazy...BECAUSE IT WAS ALL IN
CHINESE!!!!(also it was SOOOOOOOOO COLD OUTSIDE!!!!! And super hard to
focus! But it was cool because I think I was blessed to still be able
to understand and teach the lesson despite the arctic temperature it
was) And I understood it all for the most part. Yeah that was super
crazy and awesome and she is willing to meet again and seems quite
interested....super great. Gift of Tongues is real...end of story.

Another highlight was yesterday the Zone Leaders had a baptism, and so
we went to that, and then last minute found out one of our
investigators could come! So he came to the baptism which was really
awesome, and He enjoyed it and hopefully is looking forward to doing
that.

And now for a funny story/still inspiring so Elder Tanner(Elder in our
District) and I were on exchanges in my area(and we are both super
new, like he has only been in the field one transfer which is crazy),
but we were on UVA grounds contacting people, and it was quite fun
because neither of us know exactly what we are doing....but we are
walking when three people stop us and talk to us and ask us what we
are doing, so we explain, and he(only one of the three actually talked
to us) says he is doing a similar thing or something. But then starts
asking us a lot of controversial questions and is sort of "Bible
Bashing" but he was very kind about it....so we answer his questions
and some of them were a little funny because he said the gold
tablets(that's what he called the gold plates) were 800 pounds and
there would be no way John Smith(that's what he called Joseph Smith)
could have carried those under his arm......which is in no way true,
because they wouldn't be that heavy, but that was kind of whatever but
we answer his questions some more, and stood up for what we
believed.(he also called Joseph Smith a false prophet so he wasn't
super nice about everything) but what was really special to me about
this experience is that there was a point where he said something like
"if something came out, or you received some kind of revelation that
this wasn't true would you change your beliefs?" 
So I considered it,and then told him something like "No, I wouldn't because I have
already received my answer from God that the Book of Mormon is true,
Joseph Smith was a prophet, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter Day Saints is his church on the earth today, and nothing will
change that because God has given me this knowledge" and I know God
doesn't lie.
And from that experience with that man, I felt so grateful for the
knowledge God has given me of Him and his church, and his Gospel.

So another slightly funny story from the week I would say is....well
can't really think of one right now...but...oh! Uh at institute they
always have a small table of food(institute is in the business school
at UVA and there was a table full of other food and cookies next to
us....so I may have borrowed some of those cookies....but there was no
people around and it looked free, so hopefully I won't be headed to
jail for that...
So yeah that was my week! It's quite great out here although it has
recently become very cold! So we'll see what that turns into!
Love you all and thanks for all the Support!
-斯密長老 Elder Smith
祝你感恩節快樂! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment